Allow me to just come right out and say it…
Most business owners don’t understand anything about Web Marketing.
And that’s understandable.
It’s not your area of expertise.
You’re too busy running YOUR business (which is YOUR area of expertise).
So, here’s a crash-course!
Web Marketing Defined
In a nutshell, Web Marketing is ANY activity undertaken by you, or by someone on your behalf, or by someone unbeknownst to you, to promote your products and services on the World Wide Web.
Executed properly, it is a comprehensive approach that makes use of a variety of web tools and services.
Web Marketing is also referred to as:
- Internet Marketing
- Online Advertising
- Digital Marketing, and others…
For the purposes of this article, we’ll stick with Web Marketing.
Bizeeo Marketing Agency is a provider of affordable and effective Web Marketing Services in the Montgomery River Region.
Note: There are some activities on the web that can “demote” or “defame” your business. Learn how our Online Reputation Management services will help avoid and mitigate “undesirable” marketing activities.
Benefits of Web Marketing
There are several reasons you, the business owner, and your existing & potential customers will benefit from Web Marketing, including:
- Information on the web is available 24/7/365, and from nearly ANY location.
- Web Marketing is MUCH cheaper than traditional marketing channels like print, radio, and television.
- Online content can be updated quickly and easily.
Web Marketing is about your total web presence (or online presence), NOT just a business website.
Too many business owners are under the impression that publishing a website to the World Wide Web is all that is necessary.
In the early days of the Internet, this was mostly true.
That has changed dramatically, and in order to compete on the web, you must be ACTIVE on the web.
Note: A website is a necessity, but it is only part of the Web Marketing equation.
5 Pillars of Effective Web Marketing
- Every business needs a website, whether it’s a sophisticated, multi-page site full of informative content, or a single page with your contact information and a brief description of your products and services.
- Your website, and other mentions on the web about your business, must be “findable”.
- Information about your business must be accurate, comprehensive, and consistent.
- Your website must be viewable on all devices.
- You must take steps to keep your business “in front of” your existing and prospective customers.
Why Every Business Needs A Website
- It is the only online content over which you have TOTAL control.
- Your customers expect it.
- It projects a professional appearance, when done properly.
- It makes your business look well-established.
- It can make your business look larger in size, if that is your desire.
Your website, or information about your business, must be “findable” on popular search engines.
An attractive, informative website is a wasted effort if it cannot be discovered.
This is accomplished mainly through properly executed SEO (Search Engine Optimization).
SEO is the process that enables your website and other web properties to rank well in the search results for Google, Bing and Yahoo for keyword searches related to your products and services.
Watch our informative and easy-to-follow 2-minute video about SEO and learn more!
All information about your business must be up-to-date.
In addition to the content on your website, Online Business Directories with which you are listed must contain information that is accurate, consistent, and complete.
This is a topic all to itself, but businesses must “claim” existing listings in order to make any neccessary revisions. For those business directories for which you wish to be included, you will need to create a new listing.
Are you Mobile-friendly?
Websites MUST be viewable on ALL web-enabled devices, including:
- Desktop computers
As recently as 3 years ago, this was barely a consideration.
Now it is a necessity.
This is especially important on mobile devices, as a website that is difficult to view or navigate on a small screen will cause a customer to move on to a competitor’s website.
Note: Mobile-friendly websites are also a ranking factor with Google!
Top Of Mind
Stay in front of your customers!
This means consistently providing new content on the web to keep your brand in the minds of consumers, whether they be existing or potential customers.
This can be done with a blog on your business website, through social media networks like Facebook, or posting coupons and discounts through the various business directories.
The strategies and possibilities are numerous and vary for each business or industry.
There’s certainly a LOT more to Web Marketing than we have covered, but now you have a foundation from which to start the process.
What’s the most important point to remember?
Now, for the punchline…
If you don’t have the time to do it yourself, hire a qualified Marketing Specialist!
“The improvement of understanding is for two ends: first, our own increase of knowledge; secondly, to enable us to deliver that knowledge to others.” ~ John Locke